Monday, March 23, 2009

A Weekend With a View

Have you ever looked outside a window at a beautiful view and thought "Wow! Sometimes I forget to see the big picture!" At my parents house I often sit in the famly room and stare out through the big windows and allow my heart and my mind to converse with one another..lol Something I should proabably do more often! Well, this weekend opened my eyes in a similar manner.
On Friday a few of us went on a bike ride up to BVF. I rode my pink beach cruiser...it was a sight to see! lol It was such a great ride and we all had a lot of fun. At one point my friend Jon made a comment to me that really got me thinking.... You see I have a habbit of saying "Hello" to people and smiling at them. So, on the trial I wasn't any different. Jon pointed out that very few people responded back to me. On the way down, as I coasted and enjoyed the view, I thought about what Jon had said and why I insist on addressing people who have no desire to be addressed. I realized that although I love the mt.'s and the sky, and the warm sun, I was enjoying seeing other people just as much as I was enjoying evertyhing else. To me, people are beautiful, they make or break the view for me, and they are what keep me smiling. Friday afternoon I realized that I am not someone who seeks validation rather I am one who gives it and loves to give it and that is enough validation for me!
On Sunday we had a "Sweet Party." I had a riot! It was so fun to meet new people. There was a great turnout and a huge selection of desserts! I was very impressed. One guy from my ward came up and addressed me and asked if I was okay. He said that he knew I had recently gotten out of a relationship and was told that I was very hurt, however when he saw me I appeared to be ready to paint the town. He said he was confused. Instead of responding on impulse as I normally do, I stopped and reflected. I looked around the room and saw people I love, new friendships, great food, and felt my heart about to explode. I turned to him with tears in my eyes and said "How can I have all of this in my life and not be happy? Why does one thing HAVE TO ruin every minute of every day?" He was a little bit shocked with my boldness and my blunt honesty and he dropped the subject. Later that night I sat on our front porch couch in a blanket and asked myself what the guy in my ward had asked me. My conclusion: I believe in happiness. I am happiest when others around me are happy. I believe happiness can be attained no matter how hard of a trial you may be enduring. I believe happiness can be found any where. I believe that although I had my moments of sorrow, tears, and pain this past weekend- I also had incredible moments of happiness like when I met my new missionaries, when I coasted down the Mt. on my bike, when my roommates and I ate sushi on the floor, when my mom left a message that just said: I love you!, when my roommates and I layed out on the grass and talked about the adventures to come this summer, when I finished my run and felt energy, when we had or twilight party, when I went to church and heard talks that I needed to hear, when I went to the draper temple dedication and was comforted, and so many other amazing moments!
How can I ever complain about anything with a weekend with a view of happiness like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment