Friday, March 6, 2009

Finding the Strength

It's four in the morning and I just got in from a very defining night for me. Tonight after school I came in same as always and went right into my roommates room and heard all about her day and her "guy" highlights. I made the round to my other roommates to see how they were doing and for some reason felt a prompting to call my mom (The only reason why this was a weird prompting was because I was clinging to my phone in hopes my boyfriend would call or text). Regardless, I called my mom and to my surprise she informed me that she was at the hospital with my Dad. My Dad that night had gone up the canyon in our horse and slay and they had gotten ito an accident. At the time, my mom had no news to report on how my Dad was doing other than the fact that she knew he landed on his head when he and the horses crashed into a ravine. I was horrified. I grabbed my things as quickly as I could and informed two of my roommates that I wouldn't be coming back tonight and I rushed out the door.
On my way to the hospital so many thoughts went through my head....many of my thoughts were towards blessings I have recieved that I take for granted due to my busy schedule. I was also grateful that I live close enough that I could go to the hospital and be of comfort or help. My thoughts were interupted by a dear friend who always seems to know when I am in distress. As soon as I heard my phone ring I started to cry- not even knowing who it was. God knew that I needed someone to talk to on my way down to Payson- I am so grateful for those who are in tune with the spirit!
When I got to the hospital my dad looked horrible but he had a smile on his face and of course a few pun's and jokes for everyone. We waited at the hospital until they finally released him saying that he is a walking miracle. Barely able to move, my Dad looked at me in all seriousness and said "I need you." I knew exactly what for...the horses. The horses were left up the canyon and they were assumed to be in bad shape. My father who never cries...except for when a horse dies...was worried that he might have to shoot one of them. I told him that I could take care of it all by myself....ha ha ha! I was in Heels a collared shirt and Banana Republic pants!!!!! He took one look at me and said "Not a chance!" I don't blame him.......I kind of strayed from the country thing he wanted me to get into. lol
The next thing I knew I was at my parents house dressing up in someones snowsuit (three of me could have fit in it.) We found a bunch of odds and ends to keep me warm and we headed up the canyon. I was shocked when I felt my emotions rise to the surface when I saw our two horses at the bottom of the revine standing tall. The slay was mangled in a bunch of tree's and the horses were covered in blood.
I had no idea how we were going to get them out of the revine! But sure enough my "man from snowy river" Dad started climbing down in....crying with pain as he went. I was in charge of locating the rope on the mangeled slay, getting it unattached and then whirling it down the revine and pulling the horses up....piece of cake right? lol I don't know if my Dad has ever been more proud of me...he was in so much pain that once I finally got the horses stable with my mom I went down and helped my dad up to the top of the revine. His entire body shook in pain and I was busy trying to figure out if my Dad was my hero or a crazy guy for doing what we were doing.!!!!!
We ended up walking the horses down to the stables which was quite a way down the mountian especially with the horses hurt... but we got it done and them loaded and we all made it safely home. My Dad was a gonner by the time we made it back and so he had me feed the horses...no biggie right? I mean I did just help save their lives....or not. Using a pitch fork and throwing hay over tall fences is so not my thing!!!! Nor was I any good at it!!!! lol But I did it and thats what matters! lol lol lol
As I finally came in from an exhausted night I took one long look at my mom and observed how she cared for my father and how she fussed over different techniques that would help him get better. How grateful I am for loving parents who care for each other and for me. They are fighters. No matter what stands in their way they know that they will endure and be there for each other at the end of the day. Tonight was such a lesson to me of finding strength to put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward. My family was tremendously blessed tonight and I am grateful that God still teaches us lessons about life-even if it is in the middle of the night!

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a story! I'm glad that it turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I am glad that your dad is ok and your horses too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this story! Wow what an amazing family you have! I hope your dad is doing better.

    ReplyDelete