Thursday, March 5, 2009

Right Time and Right Place

I don't really have time to write this right now but I am afraid that if I don't I will forget some of the things that happened...
Once upon a time I went on a mission. It was an incredible mission...trust me I don't mind talking about it....so.....if you ever want to hear some good stories of knocking on doors- come find me. Believe it or not, the MTC was not that fun for me. Don't get me wrong it had its moments, but all in all I felt like I didn't belong there, that I was behind, and that I stuck out like a sore thumb.
I quite a few moments kneeling on the girls bathroom floor praying for strength and any other kind of help! My mission only got harder after the MTC but the difference was that my attitude had changed and I put all my faith in the Lord.
Today one of my sweetest missionaries seemed to be struggling...I felt prompted to tell about my experiences in the MTC....I don't ever do that. This sweet Elder started to get emotional. After the closing prayer I felt prompted to have a progress meeting with him...even though I was running late. I stayed and spoke with him and time stood still as if I didn't have any other cares in the world except for this servant of God.
He opened up to me and said that he had decided this morning that he wasn't cut out for missionary work because he is older, not as educated, and his family is struggling. He said that he hadn't felt the spirit the last two days...until I finally came in today. We spent four hours in class today- my Elders are troopers for putting up with me for that long! He said he felt the spirit the whole time and knew that he needed to talk to me- but what he didn't know was that I was going to speak to him in front of the whole class. He was shocked abotu the things that I brought up not knowing what it was he was struggling with.
As we spoke one on one, he cried harder than I may have ever seen anyone cry. He has been through a lot! His dreams of swimming for BYU were shattered with an injury and his family is really struggling and all he wanted was to be some place where he felt like he belonged. The Mother in me just wanted to hold him and fight his battles for him; however, I knew that the Lord needed today to happen for him....just as I needed a day similar to this one for me years ago when I was in the MTC.
As I bore solid testimony to him about the importance of the atonement, God's love, and missionary work....my heart grew as I yet again was reminded that "every good thing in my life is a direct result of me serving a mission." I realized that one day he will look back and say the same thing.
It's amazing how we bless each others lives...sometimes without even knowing that down the road we are going to meet. I feel that way right now. The people in my life....they have experienced similar things as I have and yet some of them were oceans a part from where I was at the time. How grateful I am for the web that God threads of our lives!

1 comment:

  1. I cried when I read of your tender mercies today. The Spirit testifies of truth and it was so heartwarming to read how you were able to touch this young elder's life. My mission is ending early because I developed cancer but I will always treasure the association and chance to nurture these young missionaries that I have had who serve in the Utah Provo mission. It truly is a royal army that the Lord has prepared for this day. Thanks for taking time to share your light with all of us. ~ Sister Fluharty

    ReplyDelete