Saturday, May 30, 2009

Nearer my God to thee

My current Elders that I am teaching are Heaven sent!
This poor Elders have been through so much though. One of the Elders in my district has a type of influenza A.... they are worried about the swine flue and so that Elder has been in quarantine and all the other elders are on preventitive medicine. Plus I tore my quad and missed their first three days in the MTC. When I came back to work they treated me like a princess whenever I had to go up and down the three flights of stairs.... they are all such sweethearts. To top it all off one day we were role playing teaching to meet needs and they taught me as myself. They asked me some questions about my personal life and I informed them that I had just broken up with my boyfriend....they said that they had noticed a difference in me when they first come into the room but the more I talk about the gospel the more excited I get and by the end of class I seem back to normal again. That broke my heart and I have tried extra hard to not let my personal life be reflected at all through my teaching or my personality while I am at work.
So, today as I was praying for the strength to be ready with excitement and focus and broke down bawling as I begged Heavenly Father to hold me today. I don't understand everything that is happening right now in my life, but it is not like me to let ANYTHING hold me back at work. I begged for forgiveness for being distracted and by the time the Elders came in I was ready and truly felt God holding me up!
The day was a spiritually packed day for us. We went to the RC and my Elder bore powerful testimony- testimony that I greatly benefitted from hearing. When class was done my Elders said that they had a surprise for me. SO, I followed them over to the main building. They took me into a room and told me to sit down as they all stood in front of me. One of the Elders said that he had felt close to God while he has been in my class and whether or not I could feel it in my lessons they wanted me to feel it now. Then one of the Elders started playing an incredible rendition of Nearer my God to Thee on the piano and then one by one my Elders joined in singing. This is their farewell song that they will be singing before they leave the MTC.
I was so touched that I sat and bawled. The poor missionaries didn't know what to do. I was super embarressed for crying so hard- but it was exactly what I needed to hear and their genuine compassion touched me to the core! As I finally faced them I saw tears in their eyes and without thinking I stood and walked over to them and started testifying...testifying about how close to God we can be and how good it feels etc. It was an experience that brough us all closer to each other and to God. I needed it desperately.
I had planned to go to the temple all week this week. However school work, depression and whatever else kept me from doing so. After my time with the Elders I felt a surge go through my body! I headed straight up to the temple- regardless of what day it was and if I might see Wes there- I went anyway!
While I was in the temple I felt so loved, accepted and calmed. The sisters were so sweet. I had worked that shift with many of them before, back when I was a temple worker and I felt so at home. I truly felt nearer to my God and felt that he knew me, and that he would help me through whatever trials I may be facing and have yet to face.
I am so grateful for his hand in my life. I see evidence of it daily!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kristi, reading this post makes me so happy! I'm so glad that you've been able to feel closer to Heavenly Father through your struggles. I know that He is reminding you just how treasured and beloved you are by Him. I can't wait to attend the temple with you next week and to feel of your spirit. You have been such a blessing to me and have helped me in my own struggles, and I appreciate you so much! Love ya Kristi!

    ReplyDelete